Respect is honoring and humbling. Respect is something you can only EARN, you aren’t automatically given it….it takes a long time to earn it sometimes. Maybe even a decade. Or slightly longer. If you’ve properly earned it with some people, you most likely have earned it with ALMOST all people. Like 95% of people. But, sometimes, a decade – or slightly longer – is not long enough to earn it from the other 5%. Sometimes the other 5%, regardless of what your character demonstrates, are too afraid to respect you, too. As that would indicate that they think you have a GOOD character, and that would also indicate that they thought their character was similar to yours. But, in all actuality, their character isn’t like yours. In fact, although they can’t realize why, they have a hard time earning respect….
So, instead, the other 5% point out your faults to others, they laugh at you and say things like “…..well, you’re just popular….”
But, what really is “popular”?
- Respect is *exiting a community of people* and receiving an outpouring of support that you are unable to describe in words.
- Respect is receiving so many gifts that your kitchen table is over-flowing.
- Respect is reading letter, after letter, after letter, after letter that points out all of your strengths.
- Respect is little hugs from small children who miss you after a week of you being gone.
- Respect is reading a poem from children where you are described as responsible, honest, caring, helpful, gracious and loving.
- Respect is now having enough STARBUCKS gift-cards to last a lifetime.
- Respect is when your former comrades still want to hang out with you daily, even though you no longer work next to them.
- Respect is reading a letter from children where you are adored for your talents, and thanked for your service.
- Respect is when the person you *respect* most says, “you did the RIGHT thing, Kristie….you were gracious until the end.”
Respect is so many more things……
So, you see, “POPULAR” just isn’t the right word.
You’re using the wrong word choice, my dear 5%.
The right word would actually be “RESPECTED”…..